Congolese authorities expel troublesome journalist

Posted On Jun 12 2021 by

first_img News News Congo-BrazzavilleAfrica Congo celebrates World Press Freedom Day by sentencing a journalist to six months in prison RSF_en Sadio Kante Morel, a freelance journalist who has been in the government’s sights for months, was expelled from the Republic of Congo on the night of 22 September on the spurious grounds that she is not Congolese and was residing in the country illegally. Congo-BrazzavilleAfrica A former Reuters reporter, Kante Morel has often been virulent in her criticism of the government, in contrast to many of her colleagues, who resort to self-censorship as a way to survive.When armed men invaded TV journalist Elie Smith’s home on 10 September, Kante Morel was the first one to report it. In September 2013, police roughed her up when she tried to cover the trial of Marcel Ntsourou, an army colonel.Respect for media freedom has been declining in recent months amid plans to hold a referendum on a constitutional amendment that would allow President Denis Sassou-Nguesso to run for another term in 2016.The Republic of Congo is ranked 82nd out of 180 countries in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index.(photo : Sadio Kante Morel) Follow the news on Congo-Brazzaville March 5, 2021 Find out more Joint call for Brazzaville journalist’s release Organisation center_img to go further Receive email alerts News Ailing magazine editor held illegally in Brazzaville for more than a month In the Malian capital of Bamako, where she has found refuge, Kante Morel said she is the victim of an act of injustice. As someone born in the Congolese capital of Brazzaville, she automatically has Congolese citizenship. “Was this a bureaucratic error or an excuse for getting rid of journalist who had become a nuisance?” said Cléa Kahn-Sriber, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Africa desk.“The authorities’ recent behaviour towards the media inclines us towards the second hypothesis. Either way, we urge the government to immediately rescind her expulsion, which is unacceptable.” March 31, 2021 Find out more May 4, 2021 Find out more September 26, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Congolese authorities expel troublesome journalist News Help by sharing this information last_img read more


Luxury unit tops Brisbane sales as downsizing market matures

Posted On Oct 6 2020 by

first_imgThe living zone faces the waterfront. Picture: Realestate.com.au 7 Sunnymeade Place, Mudgeeraba, Qld. Picture: Realestate.com.au What a view to wake up to. Picture: Realestate.com.auMore from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home2 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor2 hours agoGreat spot for a barbie. 631/1 Newstead Terrace, Newstead, Qld 4006. Picture: Realestate.com.auTHE most expensive property sold in Brisbane last week was not a house, but a unit.Growing strength in the luxury downsizers market saw a high-end apartment at 631/1 Newstead Terrace in Newstead top the Queensland capital’s in the past week, according to CoreLogic figures.The three bedroom, three bathroom, double garage apartment was sold for $2.9million by Brett Greensill of LJ Hooker New Farm. This kitchen takes its indoor-outdoor feel very seriously. Picture: Realestate.com.aucenter_img It has a drool-worthy kitchen. Picture: Realestate.com.auThe August 7 sale of the high end unit in Pier South Waterfront comes amid “strong demand” for riverfront property.It was on the market for the first time since it was sold off the plan in 2011.The property includes exclusive use of pools, gyms, and a concierge service.The apartment was the second most expensive property sold in Queensland last week, according to CoreLogic, with a five-bedroom home in Mudgeeraba topping the state.The home at 7 Sunnymeade Place, Mudgeeraba, changed hands for $3.425million. Only a few steps to the home cinema for date night. Picture: Realestate.com.au The Gold Coast skyline makes for a dramatic backdrop. Picture: Realestate.com.auThe luxurious five bedroom, five bathroom, triple garage home was sold by Katrina Walsh of Harcourts Coastal.The home has grand skyline views towards Surfers Paradise and Burleigh Heads, and was built to make the most of the Gold Coast outdoors.Its “outdoor entertaining sanctuary” has an alfresco kitchen, built-in barbecue and a heated lap pool. The home includes a steam room, sauna and state-of-the-art cinema.last_img read more


Bulldogs Drop Weekend Battle To Grizzly Cubs

Posted On Sep 24 2020 by

first_imgThe Batesville Bulldogs played a non conference match against the Franklin Community Grizzly Cubs losing 6-2.The first half was close, but Franklin brought a high amount of pressure and threatened the goal often. 27:45 Franklin had a long free kick from behind half that wasn’t cleared properly defensively and provided them with a close range shot on goal. At 22:00 the keeper came out on a breakaway from Michael Ripperger and then Miles Bowser was able to place the ball into the net. 15:56 Franklin scored their second goal after a Batesville goal kick was won and then shot beyond the 18 yard line to the left post. At 3:54 an opponent dribbled through the defense and placed a shot from close range into the net. At 1:42 left in the half Johnathan Lynch took a corner kick and Dominic Butz finished with a header to goal. The first half ended 3-2.The second half did not go in favor for the Bulldogs. At 21:17 a Grizzly winger crossed the ball far side for their forward to place in to the net. 15:34 Franklin received an indirect kick just yards away from the goal line which was kicked high into the back of the net. Last goal of the match came at 10:05 when an early cross was played into the middle and volleyed in. Batesville lost 6-2.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Kyle Hunteman.last_img read more


Death investigation underway at boat ramp in Stuart

Posted On Aug 12 2020 by

first_imgThis is a developing story. Authorities in Stuart are currently investigating the death of a person at a boat ramp.Not much is known at this time, however, authorities did report that the death occurred at Sandsprit Park in Martin County.last_img


Legal Action Underway To Fight Local Utility Project

Posted On Aug 4 2020 by

first_imgBy Jay CookAfter months of committee meetings, sit-downs with state officials and behind- closed-doors conversations, three local municipalities have taken the next step in opposition to a controversial Monmouth County utility project.As of Oct. 1, the townships of Middletown, Hazlet and Holmdel have formed the “Municipal Consortium,” the name given to the towns pledging legal action against a Jersey Central Power & Light Company (JCP&L) proposal in the area, the Monmouth County Reliability Project (MCRP).Brought on to fight JCP&L in the legal spectrum are two firms: Bevan, Mosca & Guiditta, P.C. of Basking Ridge; and Maser Consulting P.A., which has a headquarters on Newman Springs Road in Middletown.“We wanted a firm that had experience and knowledge of transmission lines, an engineering firm that understood that, had done some work certainly in other parts of the country and in the region here,” Middletown Mayor Gerry Scharfenberger said Tuesday evening.A member of the former firm, Murray E. Bevan, Esq., has a body of relevant work that appealed to the consortium.“Murray Bevan has experience, and I believe he actually worked for BPU previously, and has gone through similar cases in New Jersey prior,” Hazlet mayor Scott Aagre said Tuesday afternoon.Scharfenberger also said that Maser Consulting P.A. and Middletown are familiar with one another as the two entities have worked together on Middletown’s geographic information systems.The MCRP is a 10-mile-long, 230-kV transmission line that, if approved, would follow right along with the NJ Transit North Jersey Coast Line commuter line right-of-way from Aberdeen to Red Bank. It would also cut straight through Hazlet, Holmdel and Middletown as it currently is designed.When initially announced, the MCRP was slated to cost $75 million, but when the utility filed its petition to the Board of Public Utilities on Aug. 9, that price tag rose to $111 million.Utility spokesman Ron Morano said the project is currently pending before the Board of Public Utilities and the Office of Administrative Law. “The company will be responding to questions and comments about the case as part of that formal proceeding,” he said on Tuesday.The MCRP is also dependent on the decisions of the NJ Department of Environmental Protection and NJ Transit, which would have to grant JCP&L an easement to use its right- of-way.Scharfenberger said he wanted to keep the cost of legal fees private, though he assured residents not only in Middletown, but throughout the affected areas, that the town- ships are on their side.“We feel we’re going to do it in a cost-effective way and in a significant way, that we’re going to have a very substantial case.”To date, Aberdeen and Red Bank have not formally joined the Municipal Consortium.“There is a time schedule out there with applications and all, so I’m sure we’ll work out something with each of the towns,” said Aagre.Despite some early bumps in the road, Scharfenberger believes that the amount of communication between the two remaining municipalities will prevail in the end.“We’re working with the others, and we’ve been working all along,” he said. “We have a great relationship with each other, and that makes it a little bit easier.”While the strategy of their argument against the project also will remain behind closed doors for the time being, Scharfenberger wanted to ensure residents that there is a plan.“We discussed it amongst ourselves, and we thought this was the best way to do it,” he said. “We are going to be very specific in how we’re going to challenge it; we’re not just going to throw everything against the wall and hope that it sticks.”last_img read more


Oceanport Plans For Future Floods

Posted On Aug 4 2020 by

first_imgBy Jenna O’Donnell |OCEANPORT – April showers may cause flooding, especially in Oceanport. But officials hope some key updates will help stem the tides that seep into borough roads.During the April 6 workshop meeting, Mayor John “Jay” Coffey noted that flooding is a problem the borough needs to deal with. Torrential rains the day of the meeting had inundated streets across the borough, and concerned residents flooded the email inboxes of Coffey and some councilmembers with photos showing the scope of the problem.“It’s different now than it was several years ago,” Coffey said, noting that the flooding was getting worse and happening more often. “Flooding across all of Oceanport is a problem. This is what we’re facing as a town. There’s a way to ameliorate some of the problems, but it costs money.”While introducing a 2017 municipal budget proposing a small tax increase for borough residents, the Oceanport mayor and council outlined long-term plans to address the flooding that plagues the borough. Part of that strategy involves the installation of check valves to prevent river water from flooding into roads through the sewers and drains during storm surges or high tides. Those would be installed in 36 storm drain outfalls across the borough, an expensive but necessary update that the borough hopes to fund with bonds and grants in the long term.Check valves will not eliminate flooding completely, but Coffey says they will go a long way toward reducing much of the street flooding that has happened with more frequency each year.“We have 14 or 15 blocks in our town that have flooding issues,” Coffey told The Two River Times. “What used to be in connection with severe weather events is now becoming more commonplace during minor weather events and high tides.”As another approach, Coffey said Oceanport plans to purchase Jet-Vac trucks capable of clearing debris from drains and pipes. That equipment, and the cost of purchasing it, will be shared with Shrewsbury.Flooding has become a pervasive problem for Oceanport, Coffey said, and it is no longer one the borough can put off or ignore. Instead, infrastructure updates like check valves must be planned and budgeted for.“I’ve watched how kicking the can down the road can cause some serious problems,” he said. “People don’t see these check valves or notice when it’s not flooding. But ultimately I think people will want this. It is something that has to be done.”Check valves are part of Oceanport’s three-year plan and its 2017 budget, which calls for a small increase over last year, where an average home assessed at $448,522 would see an increase of $93.67. A public hearing for the 2017 municipal budget and tax resolution is scheduled for May 18.This article was first published in the April 13-20, 2017 print edition of The Two River Times.last_img read more


Saints struggle on road, host UVIC this weekened at Complex

Posted On Aug 3 2020 by

first_imgBy The Nelson Daily SportsThe Selkirk Saints dropped a pair of road games as the B.C. Intercollegiate Hockey season kicked off its 2011 season on a variety of fronts.Selkirk opened the new semester with a 10-4 shellacking at the hands of Simon Fraser Clan. Saturday, the Saints lost a close one, losing 3-2 to Trinity Western Spartans.Selkirk made the trip missing some key parts to the team as defencemen Josh Mace (Nelson) and Devin Kerckhof (Edmonton)and forward Caleb Georgetti (Nelson) did not make the trip. The missing parts, along with the eight-hour bus ride, made it easy for the Clan as the host held period leads of 5-2 and 8-4.Leading the Saints scoring was Scotty Traverse (Fernie) with one goal and two assists and newly acquired Brendan Madlung (Revelstoke) with two assists. Cody Baker (Trail), Travis Herlein (Calgary) and Denver Blackmore (Castlegar) added single goals while Braeden Mace (Nelson), Caleb Roy (Cranbrook) and Adam Makaroff (Nelson) earned single helpers. Selkirk killed six of seven SFU power plays. Saturday’s game versus Trinity Western Spartans (TWU) was a completely different story as the Saints found new legs and a determined spirit to come home with a split. Putting forth one of their best efforts of the season the Saints surprised the much-improved Spartans who knocked off top-ranked Thompson Rivers University 2-1 Friday. After TWU scored on the power play in the first, Caleb Roy evened the match with a wrist shot from center ice that fooled goaltender Sean Langreiger. Brendan Madlung put the Saints up one with a quick goal to start the second period but the Spartans tallied four minutes later to even the score at two apiece after two periods. Both teams traded numerous chances in the third but Trinity managed the only goal to earn the victory. Roy and Baker had assists for the Saints and Spenser Wong (Calgary) managed 37 of 40 shots on the night.The Saints play host to a pair of games Friday and Saturday at the Castlegar Complex as the University of Victoria Vikes pay a visit to the Kootenays. Both games have 7 p.m. starts. SAINTS BANTER: Forward Burhan Pourmokhtari (Trail) recently joined the Saints from the Beaver Valley Nitehawks of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League. Burhan earned 21 points in 33 games with the Hawks in the KIJHL. Devin Kerckhof is expected to be back in action after nearly two months on the injury [email protected]last_img read more


An early look at what DeMarcus Cousins’ recovery could entail

Posted On Dec 20 2019 by

first_imgKlay Thompson subscribes. You can too for just 11 cents a day for 11 months + receive a free Warriors Championship book. Sign me up!Just like he did nearly 15 months ago, DeMarcus Cousins presumably feels frustrated and anxious for three reasons.He suffered yet another injury that likely will wipe out his chance to enjoy an entire NBA postseason for the first time in his career. Cousins faces another potentially lengthy rehabilitation as well as a possibly depressed free agency market amid …last_img read more


Masters Trans Tasman Coach Applications

Posted On Nov 7 2019 by

first_imgFor more information please download the attached document. Related Filesmasters_coach_memo-pdfposition_description_-_masters_coach-pdflast_img


10 months agoChelsea manager Sarri: Hazard false-nine integral for defence

Posted On Oct 28 2019 by

first_imgChelsea manager Sarri: Hazard false-nine integral for defenceby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveEden Hazard brings more defensive solidity to Chelsea when playing in the false-nine position, manager Maurizio Sarri has revealed.The Belgian scored both goals as Chelsea defeated Watford 2-1 in a valuable away victory on Boxing Day. But it was Hazard’s importance in defence that lead Sarri to playing him as a striker.Sarri told Sky Sports of Hazard’s position: “In this moment we need this solution because we need to be more solid defensively and with this system we can score and become more solid in the defensive phase.”Maybe in the last match, we played better in the first half than we did tonight, but today the application was very good.”I think [Hazard] played very well, not only for his two goals, but he was good with his teammates and in open spaces. I like him in every position he is a great player.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more