Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil However the 39-year-old raised eyebrows during a press conference in New York on Monday when he said Roach would be back in his corner for his January 19 fight against Broner in Las Vegas.Read: Expect a furious Pacquiao-Broner showdownRoach though expressed bemusement about Pacquiao’s announcement in remarks to Sports Illustrated, saying he had not been in contact with his former protégé.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back Chriss“I still have never directly spoken to Manny (since 2017),” Roach said.“I’m not going to make a move until Manny calls me. I’ve been like a father to Manny for 15 years. If he can’t call me, there will be no deal.” Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? “Despite my work in the Senate as a public servant, I really miss boxing. I feel lonely. Boxing is my passion, I grew up in boxing.”Pacquiao, 60-7 with two drawn and 39 knockouts in a career that began in 1995, said he still hopes to negotiate a rematch of his 2015 superfight with Floyd Mayweather.Mayweather, who won a fight widely regarded as a letdown, has frequently teased the possibility from his retirement.Pacquiao said any move for a rematch would have to come from Mayweather.“We met in Japan. I said ‘I’m the champion, I have the belt. It’s up to you if you want to come out of retirement and challenge me.’ I’m ready any time.” /cbbRelated Stories: Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES Aces tread injury path View comments Manny Pacquiao teases Floyd Mayweather rematch after January bout MOST READ When asked to clarify the situation by AFP on Tuesday, Pacquiao said he hoped Roach would work as a “supervisor”, with long-time associate Buboy Fernandez taking a lead role in training.“I don’t have any problem with Freddie Roach,” Pacquiao said at a media roundtable. “All I say is that I think the other work in training should be assigned or designated to Buboy.“Freddie can supervise or instruct Buboy, this is what we’re going to do.”When pressed on whether he had spoken to Roach however, Pacquiao admitted that there had been no contact.“We have scheduled to talk today,” he said. “My idea is to let Buboy handle the mitts, and (Freddie) should just supervise and correct the training situation, or techniques, or anything like that.”ADVERTISEMENT Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Pacquiao, Broner bout confirmed for January 19 Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Hype on for Pacquiao vs Broner Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Trainer Freddie Roach (left) and boxer Manny Pacquiao talk during friendlier times in this file photo taken November 2, 2016, in Las Vegas. AFPLOS ANGELES, United States – Filipino boxing legend Manny Pacquiao said Tuesday he hopes to be reunited with long-time trainer Freddie Roach for his January bout against Adrien Broner but admitted he had not spoken to the veteran cornerman about renewing their partnership.Pacquiao ended a 16-year association with Roach ahead of his victory over Lucas Matthyse in Kuala Lumpur in July, breaking up one of boxing’s most famous double-acts.ADVERTISEMENT Pacquiao said he plans to divide his training camp into two parts, with the first half taking place in the Philippines and the final part in the United States.‘A long time ago’He said Roach would play no part in the Philippines leg of his training camp. “He can just wait here,” he said. “I’ll be here next month in December.”If Pacquiao and Roach are reunited, it will come after a striking and pronounced divorce.Despite the father-son like bond they had shared for over a decade, Pacquiao said he could not remember the last time he spoke to Roach, blaming demands of his role as a senator in the Philippines for the rupture.“It’s been a long time ago,” Pacquiao said. “A long time ago that I didn’t speak to Freddie. I was busy in the Philippines.“I don’t even have time to come to United States for a vacation for relaxation. It’s really busy being a Senator.”Pacquiao, who turns 40 next month, has not fought in the United States for two years.His last bout in Las Vegas in 2016 was a convincing victory over Timothy Bradley that had been billed as his retirement fight.Pacquiao however told AFP that “loneliness” had prompted him to return to the ring.“When I stopped boxing I just realized after watching some fights, I feel so lonely,” Pacquiao said.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2LA MIRADA – A 44-year-old Cypress man died when he was pinned between two vehicles after a collision Wednesday morning on the shoulder of the Santa Ana (5) Freeway, north of Artesia Boulevard, officials said. The victim, a tow-truck driver, was standing behind his truck and in front of a disabled vehicle about 2 a.m., when a big-rig truck hit the tow truck from behind, causing it to collide into the disabled vehicle and pinning the victim, said California Highway Patrol spokeswoman Raquel Stage. He was taken to La Palma Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Orange County Coroner’s Office spokesman Cullen Ellingburgh identified the victim as William Hernandez. Criminal charges of involuntary manslaughter are pending against the big-rig driver, said Stage. Suspected arsonist appears in court NORWALK – A homeless man accused of setting fire to the Beverly Boulevard Bridge on Nov. 1 appeared in Norwalk Court for trial Wednesday, but the case was postponed until June 27. Nelson Gastelum, 28, has pleaded not guilty to one felony charge of “recklessly causing a fire to a structure.” City extends ban on pot dispensaries LA MIRADA – The City Council has extended a moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries for 10 months and 15 days. In a written staff report, Assistant City Manager Andrea Travis said additional time is needed for staff to prepare an ordinance regulating such businesses. “This extension would also allow time for the conflict between federal and state laws to potentially be resolved,” Travis said. Occupation program hosts open house WHITTIER – Tri-Cities Regional Occupation Program is hosting an open house from 6 to 9 tonight at 12519 E. Washington Blvd. Refreshments will be served. For more information, call (562) 698-9571. Electronic polling places now open NORWALK – Early voting for the June 6 primary election began Wednesday at electronic voting stations in Los Angeles County, including the office of the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk, 12400 Imperial Highway. Seventeen touchscreen voting stations will be available throughout the county until June 2. This is the sixth year the registrar-recorder/ county clerk has made electronic voting available. “Early voting on touchscreen equipment has been a popular alternative to traditional polling place voting on election day for the county’s voters,” said Conny McCormack, registrar-recorder/ county clerk. More information on how to operate the equipment is available at www.lavote.net. Family bingo offers $30 jackpot WHITTIER – Family bingo night will be held at 6:30 p.m. Friday at Posada Whittier, 8120 S. Painter Ave. A $30 jackpot, a door prize and snacks will be available. For more information, call (562) 903-1570. – From staff reports160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WHITTIER – A fire that started in a detached garage at a home in the 11000 block of Flory Street on Wednesday evening ended up spreading to the home and damaging it before firefighters could extinguish the flames. The fire broke out at about 6:11 p.m. It took firefighters about 25 minutes to put out the blaze, which was under investigation Wednesday night, officials said. No one was home at the time and there were no injuries. Tow-truck driver killed in collision
Jose Mourinho will be appointed Manchester United manager next week to replace Louis van Gaal despite Saturday’s FA Cup final victory over Crystal Palace, British media have reported.VAN GAAL HAS A YEAR LEFTThe 53-year-old Portuguese will take over at United, according to the reports, even though Van Gaal, who steered United to a 2-1 extra-time win over Crystal Palace at Wembley, has a year left on his contract.Mourinho, sacked by Chelsea in December after his second spell in charge of the west London club, has also managed Porto, Inter Milan and Real Madrid.OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT SOON: REPORTSThe Daily Telegraph reported on its website that the deal to bring Mourinho to Old Trafford was reached at the end of last week with an official announcement due in the next few days.The BBC ran the same story but added that some senior figures at United were known to have serious reservations about the prospect of appointing Mourinho, with some preferring Van Gaal’s assistant, Ryan Giggs, as an alternative.Asked about his future at a news conference after the final, the Dutchman pointed at the FA Cup in front of him.”I show you the Cup,” he said. “And I don’t discuss it with my friends of the media, who already sacked me for six months. Which manager can do what I have done? I don’t want to talk about leaving the club.”REGULAR CRITICISMVan Gaal preferred to dwell on the positives from a season in which United won their first trophy since 2013 and brought in some promising young players but came one place lower in the Premier League, finishing fifth behind Manchester City on goal difference and missing out on the Champions League.advertisementThere has also been regular criticism from the club’s supporters about a style of play that brought only 49 goals in the Premier League — their lowest total since 1989-90.”I said when I started that we were in transition,” Van Gaal added. “I had to refresh my squad and I’ve done it. In spite of the many injuries this season we were still in the (Premier League) race and now we have lifted the Cup. That’s a title.”I’m very proud that I’m the first manager after the period of Sir Alex Ferguson (to do it).”The defiant Dutchman suggested he was already planning new signings for next season.”Every year we want to improve. It is not so easy when United come for a player. When United come the price is double or much more.”Whether he is given the chance to do so remains in serious doubt.